When you are thinking about different ways to make use of your land, you need not look any further than the barn. Barns are practical pieces of architecture that are also aesthetically pleasing. Because they are useful, they have been around for centuries. An old-fashioned design is simply a barn-style building with an open top and few walls. Barn metal buildings serve the same purpose only include more modern features such as steel beams and offer new ways to customize your barn.
Barns are a great way to store debris from your homestead or even your tools from your small business. Maybe you have an old truck that is worth restoring, but it’s hard to get around anywhere with it. You can use it as part of your family heirlooms, but you don’t want to leave it out in the open. With a barn metal building, you can put it out of sight and still enjoy knowing that it’s there when you need it.
Barns are also useful for housing livestock. When the weather is nice, you might let your animals graze the land around your homestead. However, when it gets cold or there is a storm approaching, you’ll want to bring them indoors where they will be safe and warm. If you don’t have a barn metal building to keep them in at night, they could end up protecting themselves from the elements by huddling together in a corner of your yard. A barn is also useful for housing animals that are sick or recovering from an injury.
If you offer products or services to customers in your local area, then there’s no better way to grab their attention than with a well-made and practical sign overhang. Many people will drive by your business space on their way to and from other locations every single day. If it’s not easy for them to see you, then they’ll keep going without ever stopping. You need to give your customers easy access, so placing a sign overhang above your door will do just that. Fiberglass barn doors are perfect because they look beautiful and can handle the weight of a sign if needed.
Barns are incredibly useful, but it can be hard to find one that suits your needs perfectly. Many people want them for agricultural purposes, while others want them because they need extra storage space or access to their business. Working with metal provides you with more versatility than any other material out there. You can choose different colors, textures, and thicknesses so the building fits in perfectly with its surroundings.
The commercial metal building industry went up by 3% back in 2018. The pandemic may have slowed down the growth but steel commercial metal buildings will continue to be a popular choice.
Barn metal buildings are just as popular as other forms of commercial and utilitarian steel structures in use today. Now, this article will look into the benefits offered by metal barns.
Why is this type of structure ideal for so many uses? What are the benefits offered by steel barns?
Steel buildings are ideal for keeping livestock. The reason is that they provide shelter from inclement weather and predators. They also protect the animal from its own waste which can be very hazardous to both humans and animals alike. As a plus, barns have tie-down points which serve as an anchor point when it comes to feeding and milking.
Depending on the metal building supplier, barns can also provide storage space for tools and machinery. This way, mechanics and farmers alike can have access to their favorite equipment at all times. They are also used as parking spaces for farm vehicles. Another advantage that metal buildings offer is that they are easy to clean. This is more difficult for traditional barns as they can harbor insects and even rodents!
In residential areas, some people use metal buildings as metal garages or workshops. In some states, these types of structures may be used as dwelling spaces with a special permit from the local government.
The Benefits of Steel Barn Buildings
Barn metal buildings are made of steel. This is because it is one of the most versatile metals used in construction today. Steel is also easy to clean which means that barns will look brand new even after several decades!
The sturdiness of these structures is another important benefit. They have been tested against harsh weather conditions and are able to stand strong against wind, rain, and snow. This makes them virtually impervious to natural disasters too!
The price of steel may be higher than that of wood but metal buildings are worth their weight in gold. This type of construction is more durable, stronger, and sturdier overall making it a better investment rather than traditional materials used for building barns and other structures.
Metal buildings also save time in construction. As we all know, wood is a very delicate material and requires extra care in manufacturing. Not only that but it will take weeks before they can be used for their intended purpose! On the contrary, metal buildings are ready to use right after fabrication! No need for further finishing or painting.
This is why more and more people are choosing metal buildings over traditional wooden structures. It’s not just because metal buildings look good in pictures but their benefits speak for themselves!
Barn Metal Building Sizes
Barn metal buildings are available in different sizes. You can find the right size that will match your needs. Here are some of the more popular barn sizes that are available today:
- 30 x 30
- 30 x 60
- 50 x 50
- 50 x 60
- 50 x 80
- 60 x 100
- 100 x 200
Each size is ideal for a specific purpose. 30 x 30 Barn Metal Buildings are perfect for storage, but they cannot be used for keeping large equipment. A 100 x 200, on the other hand, maybe too large for other purposes.
Why Use a Barn Metal Building
If you are thinking of building a barn, you should go for one made from steel. While a traditional wooden barn may have its appeal, it has its limitations. But why should you use a barn metal building? A pre-engineered metal structure offers several advantages that you cannot find in other types of buildings. Here are some of the main reasons why you should go for a custom metal barn:
Perhaps the main advantage offered by prefab metal barns is that they are economical. For a low-rise construction project, it is arguably the best option for you. Compared with a large wooden structure, a steel barn will be cheaper to build.
A major reason why a steel barn is a lot more economical is because of the faster building time it offers. That means labor cost, which is a major part of the construction cost, would be lower. That’s just for starters because steel buildings require less maintenance, they will also offer savings over the long term.
Lower Insurance Rates
This is something that people tend to overlook. Steel buildings have lower insurance rates compared to other types of structures. That’s because they can resist damage from natural calamities better than wooden structures. Steel is also flame retardant so there is less risk of a steel building burning down.
It’s not surprising that many insurance companies offer huge discounts for steel buildings.
Steel is a very poor insulator, so a structure made from steel will have an abysmal, modern performance when it comes to energy savings. For the most part, barns do not really require heating or AC but a steel barn actually has great potential for energy saving.
Because steel buildings have deep wall cavities that allow the installation of modern insulation. Modern insulation makes these buildings energy efficient. You can potentially get energy savings of up to 50%, which is very substantial.
There are also steel panels that have been coated with special paint that can help reflect the heat of the sun, which will lower the temperature inside prefab metal buildings.
A major reason many property owners are using steel barns now is the low maintenance requirement of this type of building. The exterior of wooden and concrete buildings needs a great deal of maintenance work. For example, they have to be painted regularly, not just to keep up appearances but also to maintain the entire structure’s integrity.
Steel structures will require a new paint job from time to time, but it is not as often as a wooden structure. Also, the steel panels would come in prepainted.
Another point that needs mentioning is that Barn Metal Buildings will have no issues with termites. Americans spend over $5 billion each year for termite control. There is no need for you to use harsh chemicals for controlling termites and rodents.
Easy and Fast Construction
If you’re unfamiliar with barn metal buildings, then you may not be aware that they come prefabricated. That means most of the work in building them has already been done.
Think of barn metal buildings as like toys that need to be assembled. All the parts are there, and you just need to put them together. All the parts will be delivered on location, so putting together of the structure should take less time than building a more traditional barn.
Faster construction time also means that you can save money on labor costs.
Fewer Foundation Problems
Steel is a solid material, and because of that buildings made from it would require less framing. Fewer framing would mean that the structure’s overall weight would be far less compared to a traditional building of the same size.
Because Barn Metal Buildings will be lighter, it will mean there will be less load that the foundation will have to bear. In the long run, that would mean fewer foundation problems.
Easy to Remodel
When you want to remodel a steel building, you will have an easier time doing so than one made from concrete or building with wood. Remember that most steel buildings are prefabricated, so putting in additions to it would be easier. It’s easy to open up one section of a steel building and put in an extension. It’s also cheaper to remodel a steel structure.
A Steel Building Can Retain Its Value Longer
High-quality metal buildings can retain their appearance and so their value for a long time. They can last for decades without any real deterioration at all. Some of these buildings come with warranties that last for decades, some for 30-year warranties, for example.
You Can Sell Scrap Steel
When you want to get another building in place of your steel structure, then you can have it taken down and sell the scrap. Steel can be recycled endlessly, and its price can vary, but you can get a good price for it.
These are just some of the reasons why you should opt for a barn metal building. You can get so much out of this type of building. The important thing is for you to find the right contractor to erect your barn metal building.
Metal Barn Roof Styles
The metal roofing is usually made from steel or aluminum and is often covered with a layer of protective coating to keep it free of rust. Some roofs fold, others can be shaped like a dome, and some make use of heavy beams for support like the traditional barns.
Steel Barn’s frame has an average width of 1 to 5 feet. Take this into account when ordering your building plan.
The different metal barn roof styles are as follows:
- Truss roofs – The roof system is held together by beams, called trusses. The truss may be wood or steel, you can choose between the two types to fit your needs. Steel truss roofs are usually made with recycled steel materials to keep costs down and reduce weight. It’s usually easier to change the pitch of a truss roof, but have more area to cover.
- Gable roofs – are the most common type of barn roof. This is the one you typically think of when imagining a traditional barn roof. There are two angled panels meeting at a ridge in the center top. The gable roof is easy to build and cover with material to protect it.
- Sawtooth roofs – this type of roof is designed to increase the amount of light reaching inside, so they are often used in farming buildings or greenhouses. The sawtooth roof has a small ridge along its length, with panels running up on both sides at an angle with one end attached to the ridge and the other side resting against it.
- Gambrel roof – is a traditional roof design consisting of two different angled roofs, one small and the other big. The lower part has a steeper pitch than the upper portion to allow more storage space in the lofted area. Its appearance resembles that of a Dutch Barn.
General style notes for metal barns:
- For a traditional gable style roof, the ridge of the panels should be pointing towards the front and back of the building.
- A sawtooth roof can be either on top or on both sides of a metal barn structure for more natural light inside. The design is popular in greenhouses and farming buildings. It can be used with other types of roofs as well.
- A gambrel roof is common in traditional barn styles, usually with a steep lower portion and a higher upper section.
Metal Roofing Colors – Which One Should You Choose?
Choosing the color for your metal roof can be simple or difficult. It all depends on how you want the building to look. You can go with a lighter color for a more contemporary look, or you can use a darker metal roof for a traditional-looking building. There are a few options available to you:
- Standard colors -The most common choices include black, brown, and green. These colors will work best if the building isn’t going to be painted in any other color.
- Custom colors – If you have a specific color in mind for your metal roof, but one of the standard colors is close to what you want then you can probably get it by asking the manufacturer or buying directly from them.
- Color-matched shingles – With these shingles, one side is covered with a layer of rubber and the other side has a color-matched silicone coating. The silicone has protected the rubber at all the edges and corners to make sure you get a long-lasting roof.
- Custom metal shingles – These are available in different colors and styles, while some manufacturers offer paintable versions that allow you to customize your building with just a can of paint.
- Custom color powder coat – This is a more expensive option but allows for a greater degree of customization and comes in many different colors and finishes.
Steel Barns Roof Pitch:
The main purpose of the pitch is to make sure you get maximum rain run-off while keeping the inside areas dry. You also want good ventilation to reduce the chance of condensation and increase airflow. There are two types of roof pitches:
- Flatter roofs (less than 3 in 12) – These roofs work well for agricultural buildings like dairy farms, where there is a lot of equipment to maneuver around inside. You can add more insulation on these flat or low pitched roofs because they have less air space to fill.
- Steep roofs (greater than 5 in 12) – These roofs can easily be built up off the ground and work well if you’re planning on having animals inside. The steeper roof will allow more airflow and less chance of condensation, but flat roofs are better for colder climates where heavy snowfall is common.
These roofs work well for agricultural buildings like dairy farms, where there is a lot of equipment to maneuver around inside. You can add more insulation on these flat or low pitched roofs because they have less air space to fill.
A sturdy and traditional roofing option that’s easy to use and comes in many different styles. You can use it with or without a ridge vent, but they’re very effective in areas that don’t get a lot of wind.
A metal roof design was originally developed for greenhouses and farming buildings where ventilation is critical. It’s also used in industrial buildings because the open space creates high airflow.
A traditional roofing style with a higher portion up top to accommodate large hay bales. These are popular in agricultural buildings, but you need more roof space so they can be harder to fit on smaller buildings or ones that have steep slopes.
These roofs are almost flat at the bottom and then rise steeply at the top. They’re often used to create more space in high-density living areas like apartment buildings but can work well for agricultural buildings.
Different types of metal roofs:
- Standing Seam – These are two pieces welded together with a seam running down the middle. This creates an attractive roof that is both durable and long-lasting. They’re very popular in agricultural buildings because they’re cost-effective, low maintenance, highly customizable, and also have great durability.
- Corrugated – These are probably the most common type of metal roofing because they are inexpensive, relatively easy to install, and come in a wide range of styles to match your needs. They’re easy to cut and install so they work well for agricultural buildings.
- Metal panels – These pre-cut sheets are very simple to install but can be expensive. They can be fastened directly onto your roof or installed over other materials like plywood, which is less expensive than solid metal roofs. Panels are also considered more eco-friendly because they use less material and allow you to recycle your old roof.
- Conventional shingles – These roofs can look a lot like regular asphalt shingles, but metal ones are more durable and come in a wide range of styles, colors, and finishes that will help them blend into the exterior of your building. They’re popular with homeowners because they’re low maintenance and come in a wide range of metal building prices to suit any budget. You can install them yourself or hire a roofing contractor to do it for you.
- Wood Shingles – These are traditional roofs that come in long strips. They last about twelve to fifteen years and work well in low-wind areas. They’re less expensive than most metal roofs but they do require a lot of maintenance and can be a fire hazard depending on how they’re made.
- Slate – These natural tiles are durable, but they aren’t very eco-friendly because they have a high carbon footprint that comes from the mining process. They can last up to 100 years if they’re properly installed, but they cost more than some other types of natural tiles like wood or clay.
- Tile – These are usually made from clay and work well in areas with fast winds because the shape helps them withstand high speeds. They’re very durable, but they can be expensive to install. Like slate, they have a high carbon footprint that comes from the mining process.
- Clay/Concrete – These are two very similar materials that are fired in kilns. They’re both durable and can last up to 50 years or more if they’re properly maintained. They’re also very eco-friendly because they don’t require a lot of resources to produce.
- Concrete – These are semi-durable and also eco-friendly because they don’t require a lot of resources to produce. They’re usually made in molds so they can come in any shape or size you need. They don’t have ridges like other types of tile roofs, but they are very inexpensive.
- Metal – These are very durable, low maintenance, and eco-friendly because they have a low carbon footprint that comes from the manufacturing process. They’re also easy to install and don’t require any special tools or skills to complete. Metal roofs come in several different styles, colors, and finishes that can help them blend into the exterior of your building.
They’re a great choice for agricultural buildings because they’re stylish, low maintenance, and durable. They help your building look more modern while also protecting it from the elements. With so many choices on the market, it’s easy to find one that will meet your needs and make your agricultural building stand out from the rest!
Internet discussion of Barn Metal Buildings
Metal Building Suppliers Across The USA
Compare Quonset Hut Prices and Save!
Quonset Hut Steel Buildings are suitable from residential to farming to commercial purposes. This type of building style is very popular for building a DIY workshop on your property. This style of building will have extreme versatility and you will enjoy the ease of assembly.
Compare Steel Framed Prices and Save!
Steel Frame Metal Buildings are an economical solution for both commercial, and smaller residential construction. There style has straight walls with a gable or sloped roofing system. They are an economical option they will save you money and last you a lifetime.