30 X 120 Metal Building – One of the criticisms of metal buildings is that they don’t offer good insulation. That means additional energy costs. But is that criticism true? Does a 30 x 120 metal building offer poor insulation or is that just a myth? This article will look into that.
Metal Buildings and Energy Consumption
Did you know that buildings consume a third of all the energy and two-thirds of all the electricity produced? This is why energy consumption should be factored in when a building is being designed. That includes considering the impact of the materials to be used for the construction of energy consumption.
Pre-engineered metal buildings have a bad reputation when it comes to energy consumption. That’s because steel, which is the most common metal used for construction, is a very poor insulator. Without insulation, a steel structure could lose internal heat or cold quickly. That can lead to an increase in energy consumption.
While metal is poor insulation that does not automatically mean that structures built using them would lead to an increase in energy consumption. That effect can be mitigated by the use of modern insulation.
In fact, a 30 X 120 Metal Building with modern insulating materials can lead to a reduction in energy bills by as much as 50%. Now, that’s not automatic but it just shows how modern metal buildings can lead to energy savings.
How can that be? That’s mainly because 30 X 120 Metal Building has fewer breaks in the walls for support. In a wooden building, for example, the support in the wall section would not have insulation. With metal buildings, the walls are continuous without any breaks or at least fewer breaks. That means solid insulation which covers the entire space.
Metal roofs can also be painted with highly reflective paint which can deflect most of the heat from the sunlight. As long as the energy efficiency is designed into the building then it can really lead to more savings.
Other Reasons Why You Should Use a 30 X 120 Steel Building
Energy efficiency is not the only advantage offered by metal buildings. There are other equally good reasons why you should consider it.
Here are some of those reasons:
- Metal buildings are very strong and highly durable. Researchers found that of all the materials commonly used for construction, steel has the highest tensile strength. Tensile strength is a way of measuring the strength of materials. It is the strength required to break a material. The strength and durability of steel mean that it can last much longer.
- Metal buildings are very cost-effective. A majority of steel buildings are prefabricated, meaning that the sections are made in plants based on measurements and the design of the project. They are delivered on-site and assembled there which means most of the work for the buildings is done in the plants so there is less cost on labor.
- Organic materials like wood are prone to all kinds of infestation. Mold and mildew can be real problems. Wood can also be damaged by termites. You will not have a termite problem with a metal structure.
- Steel construction is also eco-friendly. The more that steel is used, the fewer trees will have to be cut for wood. Also, all the excess materials used in building a metal building can be recycled. Nothing will go to waste.
- Metal buildings can also last longer than other materials because it is not easily affected by adverse weather and other things that can damage a building made from other materials.
These are just the leading benefits that you can get from metal buildings. Now, it’s time to look into the cost of a 30 X 120 metal building.
Cost and Uses of a 30 X 120 Metal Building
With an area covering 3,600 square feet, a 30 X 120 metal building can be used for a variety of purposes. Here are some of the uses of a steel building of this size:
- A building of this size is perfect for use in small-scale manufacturing. The unobstructed interior makes it easy for workers to move around.
- It’s also ideal for a small warehouse. When the products to be stored are not that big, a 30 x 120 building can be perfect.
- It’s also the perfect size for storing commercial and agricultural equipment. These are very large pieces of equipment that would require enough space for maintenance and repair.
- Who says that a metal building cannot be used as an office? With the right addition, these steel buildings can be used comfortably as a working space.
- A 30 x 120 size is perfect as a metal garage that can fit in a large collection of automobiles.
- The lack of support in a metal wall makes it perfect for a spacious gymnasium. Since the building is not going to collapse, you could use it for sports activities that require more space.
- In terms of cost, it’s actually quite easy to estimate how much a 30 x 120 steel building
- This size is also great as metal carports. You can cover your car from the harsh elements.
When it comes to the cost, this size of the building has a price range of $27,000 and $30,000, depending on what kind of insulation and other accessories you would like to add to it. If you’re going to use as equipment storage, you don’t need top-of-the-line insulation for it.
Factors affecting metal building prices
There are a number of factors that can affect the cost of your 30 x 120 metal building. These include:
Size of the area to be covered
The bigger the space, the more expensive it will be because you think you need it. Of course, this doesn’t mean that you should always go for the biggest size to get a lower price. This is because if you are looking for a building to be used as an office, 30 x 120 will be too big. It’s better to start small and add more space when the need arises.
The kind of materials that would be used in constructing your metal building can affect its price. More expensive construction materials cost more. However, these are more durable than the cheaper ones so you won’t have to spend again in a few years.
Type of insulation used
The type of insulation material would affect your building’s cost because it will determine how energy efficient the building is. More expensive insulations mean better insulation and lower bills for heating and cooling.
Steel price fluctuations
One of the major factors that affect the cost of your 30 x 120 metal building is the price of steel. This affects all types of construction materials used in metal buildings, actually. Right now, you have to expect some fluctuations because steel prices are unstable these days. As more time passes by, however, the prices will level out again.
Type of doors and windows used
There are different door and window styles that you can choose from. Even the placement of doors and windows can affect your building’s cost, actually. More expensive materials mean more expensive options for you to choose from.
Since a 30 x 120 building can be used as a garage, you have to consider the cost of garage doors for it. The prevailing cost is about $2,000 for a single door or around $4,000 for double ones. You can spend more if you want high-end types of doors with a longer warranty. Of course, if you want to save money, you can go for the cheaper types.
A walk-in door is the cheapest option for you to pick, costing about $500. A sectional roll up door can cost around $700 to $1,000 while an overhead door costs around $2,000.
If you live in a high-rise city, the installation cost can be higher because it will take more effort to transport materials and machinery to your location. Also, time limits may dictate that there would have to be overtime labor paid so that your project can meet its deadline. As for being prefabricated, it can already be installed in one day.
All you need to do is check the prices of 30 x 120 steel buildings and choose the right features according to your budget. The key here is not to skimp on insulation and accessories if you want a cost-efficient structure.
Don’t be intimidated by the price because it can be really beneficial in the long run. It’s better to spend on a metal building than to rent or buy one every so often. When you have your own structure, you won’t ever have to worry about the damage that can happen when it rains or when strong winds hit your roof. You can do repairs immediately for it will be under your control.
Calculating Your Savings By Using a 30 X 120 Metal Building
Now that you know what kind of advantages you can get from a 30 x 120 metal building, it’s now time to calculate the cost-savings that you will be getting.
For example, if you are using your building for storage, make an estimate of how much money you are spending on cooling per month. If it costs $100 per month, since radiant floor cooling systems can reduce this cost, then you can save that amount.
If instead of a metal building, you would have bought a prefabricated wood structure for the same size and purpose, your total expense will be around $4 per square foot. This means buying a wooden structure already assembled will cost around $1,440 more than a metal building.
When it comes to maintenance, since the materials used in prefabricated wood buildings are organic, they will need constant repair and replacement after a few years. Repairing or replacing metal parts usually does not require too much money.
With all these calculations made, you can see that having a 30 x 120 metal building is a better economic choice compared to using other materials because of its durability and long-term benefits.
Now that you’re well-versed about the cost, uses and benefits of a 30 x 120 metal building, it will not be difficult for you to make an informed decision on what structure to buy.
Advantages of Steel Frame Metal Buildings
Not only that construction made from other materials have a tendency to deteriorate faster, but you can also see how steel frame metal buildings provide many advantages over conventional structures.
Here are some of the great benefits that you will get from a metal building:
- With a strong and sturdy structure, you won’t have to worry about it deteriorating or getting damaged from strong winds or other natural disasters. In fact, it can even be used as a storm shelter.
- Metal buildings also do not need regular maintenance and replacement of parts because they are made from steel which is known to last longer than other materials.
- In addition, metal buildings keep you cool during hot seasons and warm during cold seasons. In fact, high-tech insulation and radiant cooling systems can take care of the cooling process.
- Metal buildings are also easy to clean compared to other conventional structures. Traditional materials that are used for construction such as wood or concrete will need refinishing or repainting from time to time. This is a problem because even if you do these regularly, most of these materials become vulnerable to scratches and chips.
- With a metal structure, you won’t have to worry about it chipping or getting damaged easily because of its durable nature. Also, there is no need for painting or refinishing the building every once in a while. Maintenance and repair works can be done easily when necessary without having to worry about them affecting the beauty and overall structure of your building.
- On top of that, metal buildings are easy to install and use. Compared to having workers build a wooden or concrete structure from scratch, it would be much easier if you buy a prefabricated unit because you don’t have to do any heavy lifting. In fact, if you need to relocate your building in the future, it will be much easier than other materials because of its modularity.
Different Roof Styles for Metal Buildings
Not only that metal buildings can cool and heat your space, they also come in different styles and structures that will suit your needs. Here’s a look at the various roof styles you can choose from:
Made from corrugated steel, this is the most common type of roofing for buildings made entirely from metal panels. It is known for its strength and durability against the elements.
This style is perfect for metal buildings that are designed to provide an unobstructed view of the sky because it allows maximum light transmission which makes it aesthetically pleasing. This roofing system also provides good ventilation, allowing heat or cold air to escape easily.
You can tell that this roofing style is made from steel because of the ‘zigzag’ pattern.
This is the most cost-efficient type of roofing for metal buildings. It provides an efficient drainage system without requiring too much labor and effort to install. Since there is only one angle, it will need fewer support beams compared to other roofing systems.
A metal building with a mono-pitch roof is as perfect as a shed, garage or barn because it has good air ventilation as well as natural lighting from the single window built into the unit. It is also easy to install, repair, and replace.
This type of roofing for a metal building is one of the most common. It has two sections that slope downward, resembling the shape of a triangle. This type of roof is ideal for sheds and storage units.
A gable roof metal building will allow proper drainage and ventilation in your area and provide natural lighting especially if it gets installed near windows or doors. You can also add more windows, lighting, and ventilation if needed.
This type of roofing is mostly used in commercial buildings such as warehouses or factories so they can pack more units in a single building. This style has four sloping sections that meet in a peak at the top, making it possible to add several stories in one metal building. It also provides good drainage and ventilation because it has more roofing panels compared to other roofing styles.
The hip roof metal building is perfect for commercial establishments that need more space particularly if they are frequently used by people who would spend most of their time inside the unit.
This type of roof is also known as a gambrel roof which has two slopes on each side, giving it an ‘M’ shape.
This type of roof is best for metal buildings that are designed to be part of an industrial complex or campus since they provide more storage areas. This type of building would also work well in commercial spaces such as breweries and warehouses. It provides good ventilation and airflow for the space inside and allows for buildings to be placed closer together.
This metal building roofing style is best used as a standalone unit or as an entryway to your commercial establishment. It gives the structure a subtle touch of class and sophistication that people would love. You can also design it in such a way that it becomes part of your store’s logo or branding.
An architectural feature is also perfect if you just want to add style to your metal building roof without compromising on functionality. This type of roofing is the most expensive compared to other styles but it will definitely be worth every dollar spent.
Vertical Roof Slope
Unlike other roofing systems, this type of metal building has a steep slope on each side. The sloping sections are thicker compared to other styles so there is still enough space for ventilation or lighting inside the unit. This style comes with a hip-type ridge similar to the gable roof so it would be easier to build without compromising on functionality.
Vertical roof metal buildings are perfect if you need an industrial unit that is strong and sturdy at the same time. The efficient drainage system also makes it easy to clean and maintain so your building will always be in tip-top shape! Vertical roofs may cost more than other types of styles but they are still the best investment for your property.
This type of metal building roof is best for one-story units with a footprint of 30 x 100 feet. The sloping section on each side makes it perfect for homes and garages while the hip style ridge allows ventilation and proper drainage to take place.
A sloped roof metal building will give you enough room for your cars, trucks, equipment, and other items you need to store in the unit. It also works well in residential spaces especially on properties with limited space. Proper ventilation is important so if it gets installed near windows or doors make sure to open them on hot days.
30 x 120 Metal Garage with Sloped Roof
Metal garages with sloped roofs are perfect if you want to build a home storage unit without compromising on style. The hip-style ridge is very efficient in letting air and water out so your building will always look clean and stylish even after long use.
Side entry garage metal buildings are also perfect if you need garages with enough room for your tools and equipment. This type of building is very durable so it will definitely last you a long time especially if you maintain the exterior regularly.
How To Get A Metal Building Loan?
With metal building prices, it would be best if you apply for a loan that doesn’t require you to come up with the entire payment at once. You can always try to ask your vendors if they are willing to offer special deals on their products but you should also look into financing companies that are known to provide low-interest rates on loans.
Metal buildings are already cost-efficient structures so you should definitely take advantage of this by applying for a loan with minimal interest rates. You can check out the internet for financing companies that have good reviews from their clients so you can later check if they can be a reliable source of funding for your metal building project.
Some companies require just a small deposit while others will ask for a down payment. If you choose the latter, make sure to apply for a loan that can give you enough money to pay for your metal building construction without putting too much strain on your budget. Make sure to contact friendly building specialists in the area so they can give you advice on how to secure funding for your metal building project.
Internet discussion of 30 x 120 Metal Buildings
Metal Building Suppliers Across The USA
Compare Quonset Hut Prices and Save!
Quonset Hut Steel Buildings are suitable from residential to farming to commercial purposes. This type of building style is very popular for building a DIY workshop on your property. This style of building will have extreme versatility and you will enjoy the ease of assembly.
Compare Steel Framed Prices and Save!
Steel Frame Metal Buildings are an economical solution for both commercial, and smaller residential construction. There style has straight walls with a gable or sloped roofing system. They are an economical option they will save you money and last you a lifetime.